read more in 2019 with kitchen table literary arts book club @ the WOODSON
The Kitchen Table Literary Arts Book Club began in 2014 with its first three-book, themed series. The Heritage Series featured novels from ancestor Black women authors Ann Petry, Nella Larsen, and Zora Neale Hurston. We followed the success of the series with the Debut Series, which featured first-time novels by Black women authors: Angela Flournoy, Naomi Jackson, and Cole Lavalais, who visited our book club meeting in spring 2015. Since then, we've read books that span theme and genre, from speculative fiction and romance to spirituality and historical fiction.
Our meetings, which take place the last Saturday of the month at the Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American History Museum, are filled with positivity and community-building as readers from across racial, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds get together to share their impressions about the book and their thoughts about how literature does the work of connecting us all through the truth and beauty of the human experience.
Our 2019 Book Club season, PRIDE and JUSTICE, features novels by Black queer women writers (Pride Series) and mystery novels by Black women writers (Justice Series).
complete registration here:
- VIP (includes copies and delivery of all three books in the series, KTLA book club bookmark, refreshments for each meeting)
- Regular (includes KTLA book club bookmark and refreshments for each meeting)
- Pride Series featured novels: Jam on the Vine, The Mothers, and Another Brooklyn. Meeting Dates: January 26, February 23, and March 30 *PRIDE SERIES IS SOLD OUT!*
- Justice Series featured novels: Book of Memory, Skies of Ashes, Bluebird Bluebird. Meeting Dates: May 25, June 29, and July 27
- *JUSTICE SERIES SOLD OUT!*